Stable isotope-labeled internal standards have been proven to overcome these problems and compensate for fluctuations in sample preparation, such as extraction and cleanup. Numerous LC/MS/MS methods for detecting mycotoxins have been developed and published in recent years; however, only a few so far have been based on stable isotope-labeled analytes, mainly due to their limited availability and quality. Only recently have calibrants of thoroughly [13C]-labeled mycotoxins been introduced, thus opening a broad field of applications and improvement in mycotoxin analysis. The challenge for the industry is to accelerate the development of unified multi-toxin methods suitable for many types of analyte/matrix combinations.
Get Paid For Your Thoughts!
- Wiley (Food Quality & Safety’s publisher) is offering $200 to qualified food scientists who participate in research interviews about challenges facing the food industry.
Take the survey >
Dr. Eva-Maria Binder is chief scientific officer at the Erber Group. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sulyok M, Berthiller F, Krska R, Schuhmacher R. Development and validation of a liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometric method for the determination of 39 mycotoxins in wheat and maize. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2006;20(18):2649-2659.
- Berthiller F, Dall’Asta C, Schuhmacher R, Lemmens M, Adam G, Krska R. Masked mycotoxins: determination of a deoxynivalenol glucoside in artificially and naturally contaminated wheat by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Agric Food Chem. 2005;53(9):3421-3425.
- Schneweis I, Meyer K, Engelhardt G, Bauer J. Occurrence of zearalenone-4-β-D-glucopyranoside in wheat. J Agric Food Chem. 2002;50(6):1736-1738.
- Biancardi A, Gasparini M, Dall’Asta C, Marchelli R. A rapid multiresidual determination of type A and type B trichothecenes in wheat flour by HPLC-ESI-MS. Food Addit Contam. 2005;22(3):251-258.
- Berthiller F, Schuhmacher R, Buttinger G, Krska R. Rapid simultaneous determination of major type A- and B-trichothecenes as well as zearalenone in maize by high performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A. 2005;1062(2):209-216.
- Biselli S, Hummert C. Development of a multicomponent method for Fusarium toxins using LC-MS/MS and its application during a survey for the content of T-2 toxin and deoxynivalenol in various feed and food samples. Food Addit Contam. 2005;22(8):752-760.
- Tanaka H, Takino M, Sugita-Konishi Y, Tanaka T. Development of a liquid chromatography/time-of-flight mass spectrometric method for the simultaneous determination of trichothecenes, zearalenone and aflatoxins in foodstuffs. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2006;20(9):1422-1428.
- Milanez TV, Valente-Soares LM. Gas chromatography: mass spectrometry determination of trichothecene mycotoxins in commercial corn harvested in the state of São Paulo, Brazil. J Braz Chem Soc. 2006;17(2):412-416.
- Klötzel M, Gutsche B, Lauber U, Humpf HU. Determination of 12 type A and B trichothecenes in cereals by liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. J Agric Food Chem. 2005;53(23):8904-8910.
- Häubl G, Berthiller F, Krska R, Schuhmacher R. Suitability of a 13C isotope labeled internal standard for the determination of the mycotoxin deoxynivalenol by LC-MS/MS without clean up. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2006;384(3):692-696.
- Häubl G, Berthiller F, Rechthaler J, et al. Characterization and application of isotope-substituted (13C15)-deoxynivalenol (DON) as an internal standard for the determination of DON. Food Addit Contam. 2006;23(11):1187-1193.
- Sakairi M, Kato Y. Multi-atmospheric pressure ionization interface for liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Chromatogry A. 1998;794(1-2):391-406.