(Editor’s Note: This is an online-only article attributed to the June/July 2017 issue.)
You Might Also Like
Explore this issueJune/July 2017
A stringent health and safety training plan with a focus on hand hygiene is more than likely in place wherever you work or do business within the food industry. However, over time bad habits can develop and without the proper refresher training this can cause implications for businesses.
Whether working in a restaurant kitchen, behind a counter serving food to waiting customers, or even in a warehouse or factory environment that deals with food directly, it’s imperative to understand the importance of hand hygiene and note what practices are incorrect.
Here are some misdemeanors that many who work with food may be guilty of:
- Not washing or sanitizing hands before coming into contact with food;
- Handling food with bare hands in a retail environment;
- Dealing with cleaning chemicals and not washing hands before handling food again;
- Not wearing the correct gloves when handling food;
- Continuing to wear protective gloves while handling money and food;
- Using latex gloves when handling food as this can cause adverse allergic reactions for staff and customers;
- Handling raw meat and then other foods without washing hands or changing gloves;
- Not cleaning under fingernails before handling food;
- Handling cleaning cloths while wearing protective gloves; and
- Using an ineffective handwashing method—Health and Safety Executive recommends washing hands with warm running water and soap to reduce bacteria and contamination.
Avoid Poor Hand Hygiene
Provide easy to access washing stations. Clean, easy to access sinks are a good way of maintaining good hand hygiene. Ensure that there is always soap dispensed via a pump to minimize cross-contamination and clean paper towels are available to dry hands—a towel can dirty quickly and require laundering. If your business does not have access to hot running water—you may operate from a mobile kiosk, for example—hand sanitizing gel is a good option.| | | Next → | Single Page